It could be that you ate a little more than you planned during the holiday season. Maybe you vowed last January to get in shape and make this year your year. Then February came, the results weren't immediate, and you quit. It happens!!!
So now what? Here are a few tips to help you get refocused and re-energized to get back on track for the new year - and more importantly - to STAY on track:
1) Leave the past in the past. Did you fail this year? Who didn't?! Do NOT allow yourself to dwell on your failures. You don't live in the past! If you dwell on your failures, you will continue to have that fear in the back of your mind that the same thing will happen. By doing this, you're actually sabotaging yourself before you even start! Forget the past. Move towards the future.
2) Decide that this is it for you. Seriously, you've had it. You deserve this. You NEED this. Your family needs this from you. From here on out, you will be strong. You will be brave. You will be fierce and unstoppable! Feed yourself every single day with these thoughts. Because if you allow the negative in, it will take over completely. Capture every thought - evaluate it. Is it helpful or hurtful? If it's hurtful, dismiss it. If it's helpful, feed it.
3) Realize that you won't be perfect. And that it's OKAY. SO many times, we commit to leading a healthier lifestyle, then life happens. We experience sickness, things come up, maybe we have a crazy episode of binging, then decide we messed up, and that's it. We basically decide at that point that we aren't worth the effort.
Here's the key to overcoming this part of it: Forgive yourself. Often. Every single day. We ALL mess up. Just because life happens and you miss a workout or two, doesn't mean you give up on yourself completely!
Think of it this way: with your job, what would happen if you quit at every obstacle? If you messed up an order and got frustrated and quit, what would happen? You wouldn't get paid! It's the same with this journey - you can't expect to get frustrated, and quit, and still see results.
Forgive yourself when you mess up. If you're thrown off for a day, a week, or even a month, get back on and keep going! The key here is to NEVER EVER QUIT. Every time life knocks you down, get back up, brush off your big girl pants, and get back to it!
4) Find your whypower. This is the most important one of all. If you thought you'd found it before and you quit due to lack of willpower, guess what? You haven't truly found it yet! I thought I had several times in the past. I started P90X and quit (three times), I started Insanity and quit. It wasn't until I had my DEEP bring-me-to-my-knees why power that I was able to CRUSH TurboFire and get my first amazing results!
Dig DEEP - I mean DEEP. Just saying you need to lose weight isn't going to cut it. WHY do you need to lose weight? What will happen if you do? What will you be able to do? How will things change for your family? How will you FEEL? What kind of freedom will you experience? Will you be able to go on rides with your kids? Hike a mountain with your family? Go to a Doctor's appointment and confuse your Doctor with your amazing blood pressure and cholesterol levels? FIND that whypower. And don't stop looking until you find something that literally makes you cry - HARD.
5) Don't be insane. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Have you joined a gym for the past five years at New Years and felt lost, so you gave up? Don't take that route this time! Did you try a quick-fix diet pill or a crash diet? Don't do it again! Did you join a challenge group and half-ass (sorry, but there's no other way to describe it) your involvement? VOW to log EVERY SINGLE WORKOUT in that group - and don't expect anything less from yourself!
If you follow these 5 tips - I mean, TRULY follow them - this will be your year. These are the five tips I remind myself of every MONTH. It's important to keep these ingrained in your memory, so you don't slip back into your old habits.
Ready to commit to changing your life this year? Send me a message outlining your goals, or add me on facebook here and let's work together! You don't have to do this alone! <3